Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Response for Interactivity #3


For the inventory that we assembled, I was really impressed with how many different facets are touched upon by the technologies we used, from planning to delivery to activities. Equipment like SmartBoards and computers instinctively come to mind as some of the strongest and most effective examples of classroom technology, but I underestimated how important supportive technologies would be. After completing the spreadsheet, it really struck me that I’d be relying much more on resources to design lessons and communicate with my students than I initially anticipated – particularly in collecting advice from other teachers’ blogs and pulling data in to reshape approaches in delivering my instruction.
We all brought forth some great in-class hands on activities and demos. Some technologies made getting more traditional equipment like microscopes into the classroom easier and more efficient. Some technologies enhanced or completely replaced the way that hands-on labs can be tackled, particularly the PasCo gear like dataloggers and motion capture devices, which empower students to collect more accurate data in a less tedious manner. Other resources like a SmartBoard paired with some of the great online demo libraries we found will really go a long way towards illustrating concepts more effectively during lecture and capture the students’ attention. A lot of these technologies I’m already observing being put to great use in the classroom, and I’m looking forward to asking my teachers what sort of resources they pull from when lesson planning.

2 comments:

  1. Brian,
    I noticed you seem to have a bit of a thing for the Smartboard. I also believe that it is a technology that can be beneficial, not only to Physics teachers, but to teachers of virtually any content area. Math teachers can use it to model examples of mathematical arithmetic, Music teachers can use it to display and interact with pieces of music, and English teachers can make use of the Smartboard's "chalkboard like" qualities like highlighting texts displayed on the Smartboard or underlining; makes the job a lot less messy than chalk. Looking at our inventories, overall, we have found so many technologies that I would love to use in my classroom. When I was in high school we used technologies, but not as many as there are available to us. Looking back, I wish my teachers used as many technologies as we have found in only a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian, glad to see you are already making connections to your science classroom.

    ReplyDelete