Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Math, Science, History, unraveling the mystery that all started with...


Whenever I tell people that I study physics, the Big Bang Theory almost always comes up at some point. Three of the main characters are physicists and fill every possible geek/nerd stereotype one could imagine – they embed science analogies in their conversations, have regular trips to the comic book store and attend comic-con, and are among the most socially oblivious creatures that roam the world.

I wonder how familiar my students might be with the show – obviously some of the content is more mature, but nothing the average high schooler wouldn’t be watching. If I deemed it appropriate for the class, perhaps using occasional clips before leading into certain lessons would be really effective! Even at the beginning of the year, I could use this clip from season 3 to transition into my personal introduction to the course, reassuring that I won’t be teaching them anything like Sheldon would:

          Sheldon teaching physics

Although a great deal of their discussions revolve around highly advanced topics in quantum physics, a lot of the references they make as asides can be understood by someone who’s taken a high school-level physics course. For my students, this may make them feel as if they’re in on an inside joke. I might even want to assign extra credit projects where they pick references from the Big Bang Theory or other shows and make a presentation to their classmates, pretending that they were explaining the joke to a bunch of friends who didn’t get it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment