Sunday, April 29, 2012

Setting the bar for accountability

          Social Media in the Physics Classroom

Above is a link to Stephanie Chasteen's 'Social Media in the Physics Classroom'. The vast majority of her insights and observations apply to all content areas, so it's definitely worth a look even if you're not teaching science!
In several of my prior posts I've pointed out my concerns about the distractions and disruptions many technologies bring into the classroom. Chasteen quickly addresses many of the same concerns I've had, but points out that a teacher who constantly discourages the usage of technology ("lids down time) does the student a disservice. She does a great job pointing out effective ways to use various social media tools to shape your students' learning, but the biggest thing I took home from this was the advice to have accountability - having a wiki-based contract and encouraging buy-in from the students. If I can find a way to make this more effective, I'll not only be free to use a huge amount of online resources with the fill trust of the kids, but I'll also be shaping them into responsible technology users at a very early age.

No comments:

Post a Comment